Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I love training


So I've really been struggling with trying to like running. I know I will never love it. But I've really tried to just tolerate it.

And it's not working.

But what I've discovered is that I love training.

I love preparing for a goal, a race, an obstacle to overcome.

I read something today that reminded me of my love of training.

It took me back about six years when I was training for sprint triathlons. I loved getting on my bike and pumping out 20+ miles a day. I enjoyed getting in the pool to see if I could go just one more lap further than I did two days prior. And I dragged myself out in my running shoes to plod along just enough to be able to do a 5k.

But what I liked most was getting out of bed at 4:30 and hitting the bike, the pool or the road with a big goal in mind and milestones to hit.

Both of which I did, and loved every minute of it.

So I feel like I've reconnected with my old self, in a way, remembering why I ran. I ran to prepare, and didn't just run to run.

So I guess you could say I will never BE a runner. But I would like to call myself a triathlete.

So there.

No comments: