Monday, December 20, 2010

Movie Review - Black Swan



Well. Well, well, well.

I had no idea the treat that awaited me Saturday night at the Chase Park Plaza.

B and I got there a little early, and there was a line a mile long.

No worries, though, because we had rock-star luck and lucked out with near perfect seats.

We then proceeded to spend the next 108 minutes watching a frail Natalie Portman be psychologically terrorized by....well....herself.

It was a phenomenal movie, in that it was truly unique. It was very unnerving at times, disturbing at others, and overall a pretty wicked ride.

I won't go into details as I'm sure there are folks out there who haven't seen it. But what I will say is this - if you've seen Carrie, Inception, and Jacob's Ladder, there are elements of each of these films (and perhaps a modified scene or two) in Black Swan. Whether this was intentional on Aronofsky's behalf or not, it serves him and the film well.

Oh, and the scene with Winona Ryder in the hospital? Probably one of the freakiest, violent and memorable scenes in history.

This is not a movie I will ever see again, but I'm glad I saw it once.

Grade: A+

No comments: