Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I can't take it



Pretty much any site I visit on the web, there are advertisements for the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA). And this picture is what I see the most. And it just makes me so sad. Every time.

I want to kill anyone who is cruel to animals. For any human to take that kind of unecessary power over a helpless creature just blows my mind. It makes me want to blow them away with a .22 rifle.

I rescued a little beagle at the APA. I named her Maggie, and she was the most beaten-down dog I'd ever seen. She didn't make a sound for the first six months we had her, and only came out from under the bed to eat and go potty. She had been a stray, but boy, whoever had her before me did a bang-up job on her...literally. Until the day she died, anytime someone would reach down to pet her, she would duck her head and cower like she was about to get beaten. Heartbreaking.

She eventually came out of her shell a bit, but never was a very cuddly dog - never did fully trust humans, even me. I knew I had to be extra-good to her, and gave her a wonderful 10 years of love, treats, and belly rubs (when she's let me). In turn, she gave me an incredible 10 years of life lessons, sweetness and companionship. I miss her very much. And I still cry when I think about her for more than 10 seconds. Crying now. Great.

This is Maggie...two days before she died. (the white dog is KoKo)


Okay, anyway, these pictures just tear me up. I think the ad campaign is very effective, and far reaching. It incites. It provokes thought. It calls for compassion and action. It's just difficult to take - so I guess it's doing it's job.

Now that I'm a complete mess, I'm going to head to bed and love extra hard on my boy Oliver.

No comments: