Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Inglorious Crap - Movie Review


Suckage.

That's right. Inglorious Basterds was a 3-hour suckage of precious time I will not get back.

Brad Pitt - well, he was very good. The definite highlight of the movie for me. His performance was reminiscent of Earle Grace in "Kalifornia"...kinda backwoods, but oddly endearing, watchable, and unforgettable.

Oh, and David Bowie's "Cat People". Great song, kind of a weird inclusion, but nice to hear.

Many of Tarantino's master touches were barely there, or missing completely. He did one of those backstory-moments on the Bruno character, but it was minimal and hardly worth playing out, as you never really felt invested in the character.

Missing were the razor-sharp gut-clenching shock scenes (partial decapitation, eye-plucking) that are a mainstay in his movies. Also missing were the long diatribes and revealing moments his characters are known for - you know, the ones that make you really feel for them. Samuel Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction, George Clooney's in From Dusk Til Dawn, Uma's in Kill Bill. I didn't really feel for any of these characters...not one.

Gloves off - I feel like because Tarantino had Brad Pitt attached to the film, he kind of got lazy, sat back and let Pitt drive the vehicle. Because as we all know, Pitt can carry a movie & can rake it in at the box office.

I'm disappointed. I cannot recommend it. And of my friends who've seen it and sang it's praises, I now question their judgement when it comes to good cinema.

Seriously. Skip it.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

"Suckage". Very descriptive. Nice review. Maybe I'll watch it on DVD.

One Crabapple said...

In my defense, I never saw a Mr T film until the basterds. I don't get out much obviously. My hubby had a "suckage" review of it as well since he is the movie nut. I just was glad to have a popcorn bucket to myself!