Tuesday, February 23, 2010

KBGB

Law of averages. It would figure that as soon as the KBGB is paid off in full, it starts to have issues.

For those of you who don't know, the KBGB is my beloved and exhaulted Explorer.

As I was walking to my car last Tuesday evening, I noticed that it seemed to be....tilting. Yes, tilting. It was visibly uneven. I started it up, and it sounded fine, so I hobbled on over to class and back. The next morning, the tilt was more pronounced. Heck, let's call it what it was - more of a listing, as in what a ship would do in uneven seas.

It was time for a tune-up.

Dobbs pronounced that a spring had broken in the rear suspension (I insisted on seeing it, and yes, it was broken). So I had to pay just under 4 figures to get both sides of the back end repaired and trued up.

Well, now my car is shifting hard, and there is a soft yet noticable "clunk" coming from just under my feet as I drive. Assuming it's the transmission fluid - so, back in the shop tomorrow for a flush and oil change. Hopefully that's all.

I like my vehicle. It's been very good to me over the last few years. It likes to camp, and roadtrip, and can fit a fair amount of gear inside and out for those adventurous trips. And when it's washed and waxed, it looks shiny and new.

I am fine with putting some money into it now. It just passed the 100,xxx mile mark, so I figure it's time for the aches and pains to start. I'd like to keep it for a few more years, because not having a car payment is a whole lot of awesomeness.

No comments: