Sunday, May 2, 2010

Movie Review


Greenberg

Hmph.

I was expecting another "The Squid And The Whale". What I got was a pissy, loser Ben Stiller and a decent supportive cast.

I strongly feel that the lead was miscast. It was difficult for me to watch someone who I love to laugh at be such a dick, and not even a watchable dick. I understand that his character was a dick. But I would have enjoyed watching anyone else besides Stiller. In some reviews, his character is described as a hero and a villian. Nothing heroic about this character - what little kindness he shows is lost on a confused and self-destructive girl.

Some actors that come to mind who might have done a better job...going way back here....Eric Stoltz. Lief Schreiber. Really, anyone.

Greta Gerwig, who was in the great flick "Baghead" (rent it now) and "House of the Devil" (small part) was very sweet and sad and confused and perfect. Rys Ifans plays a supportive role as Stiller's buddy, and he's earnest and steady and not a sidekick at all - holds his own.

And a very, very nice surprise - Mark Duplass, who I am TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH, had a very small but noticable role. He wrote, directed and acted in the fantastic film "The Puffy Chair" and "Baghead" and the overlooked "Scrapple".

Mark, much like Paul Schneider (who I also want to marry) from the most awesome "All The Real Girls", is that kind of actor who reminds you of a guy in high school that, were you to go back in time, you WOULD give the time of day to, might even date, and crush on hard. These actors are the real deal - I don't know if they're really acting. What I feel when I watch them is this - I think that they bring alot of their own qualities, characteristics, and mannerisms to their characters and play them by heart.

So, don't see "Greenberg" if you want to see a witty, quirky movie. Rent "The Puffy Chair" or "All The Real Girls".

No comments: