Saturday, June 27, 2009

MJ Recollection


It's Michael Jackson, all day, every day.

The State, which is my favorite comedy show, was tripped last night on MTV2 in lieu of an MJ Special Report w/Kurt Loder and some other DJ. How do I know this? I sat down this morning after my shower to put my makeup on, and was all set to enjoy a little "$240 Worth Of Pudding" sketch via Tivo, and no dice. So I sat and watched the show and thought about a recent conversation I had with my mom.

She and I reminisced yesterday about MJ, and shared our favorite memories. She talked about listening to his music on tape when she was putting up bulletin boards at school and in the car. She told me she dug out the Thriller Album that my brother and I had when we were kids. It's all scratched up, but she was going to play it during dinner last night no matter what. Ha - love it!

My favorite memory is tied to the Thriller video. Pretty sure I was in 6th grade...just a little kid. I remember playing outside with my brother, and we knew it was coming on, so he kept going inside to check the progress. All of a sudden he whipped open the sliding door and yelled, "It's on!". I ran inside, we sat on the living room floor enjoyed 14 minutes of something so original, entertaining and creepy it blew us away. We must have watched it 100 times, and we started to pick out our favorite zombies (we both liked the guy that has black goo coming out of his mouth).

I loved horror movies since before I could talk (probably), and would talk my mom once in a blue moon into buying me a Fangoria magazine so I could see all of the neat & scary special effects in the horror movie industry. As you can imagine, the Thriller video was right up my alley.

I haven't listened to MJ in many, many years. The whole trial and his weirdness skeeves me out, so I avoided. During my conversation with my mom, we both agreed that there were a lot of his songs that we really liked, regardless of his creep factor.

I burned the Ultimate Michael Jackson CD Collection for my mom, and it's in the mail today. The scratchy record just won't do. Not for this memory.

No comments: