Sunday, June 7, 2009

Movie Review



Jeez Louise.

Inside surprised me. Completely. It is, by far, the goriest horror movie I've ever seen. It's also a very trippy, atmospheric movie.

The French seldom fail to entertain, and this little gem took gruesome to the limit.

The basic premise is that a widowed woman who's a day away from giving birth to her child is tormented by another woman. Tormented? Too light of a word. From the very first scene to the last, gore abounds. But it's not gratuitous gore.

There were some surprises along the way as well. The music and sound effects created just the right amount of anticipation and dread. There were points where I could not watch - my friend had to tell me what was happening, and then I would turn back to the screen feeling more prepared for what I was about to see.

It was scary, bold but not over the top. It played out in an interesting way - I don't want to give it away, but let me just say that this film makes the ordinary seem very disturbing. If you've seen "The Strangers", the "natural, anticlimactic" violence at the end is peppered throughout this movie. Very surreal.

If you are a horror fan, I would definitely recommend this movie. It's now in my top 10.

No comments: