Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Friendship

I've heard many times, from many different people, that you don't get to pick your family, but you get to pick your friends and that's what makes them so special.

I believe that. To mesh with someone so truly, and deeply, is such a gift.

I didn't attend my HS reunion this past weekend, and I've been checking out the pics. Everyone looked so good, obviously having a ball, and I wish I could have been there.

I started to think about the good times I had in high school with many of the those people:

- Shawn made sure that my 16th birthday was unforgettable - she threw a small party, the guys came over, we watched Eddie Murphy Delirious, ate and drank, and had a great time. I also remember that I "fell asleep" at one point, and I woke up on her bed and found a note next to me. It was the sweetest note, basically telling me that she was glad we were friends, and that she hoped it was the best birthday ever. It was great, thanks to her. And obviously unforgettable.

- I remember riding in Tanya's car, listening to Salt-n-Pepa's "Push It", just singing at the top of our lungs. She was very artistic, positive, and embraced life back then. It's obvious, in getting to reconnect with her via FB and seeing the pics, that she's still living life with the same ferocity and vibrance as she did 20 years ago.

- Steve is one of my oldest friends. I've known him since the 2nd grade, and he lived a few short blocks from me. I've never known him to do or say anything mean or negative to anyone, ever. One of those progressive, pure souls that remains intact as the years progress. One of those few, good men. Oh, and since his dad was a dentist, he always brought those pink tablets to school that helped clean your teeth. Very cool!

- Phil was a lot of fun back in high school. And even though I was so concentrated on getting one guy or another to notice me doesn't mean that I didn't notice what a good person he was. It doesn't seem that much has changed there - and he looks happy and content, which is exactly what I would wish for him now. And do.

- Jason P. was my prom date. What a gentleman. Neither he nor I were dating anyone at the time, so I guess is seemed like a good idea to go together. To get to know each other a bit better before the big night, he used to call me up and ask if I wanted to go for a walk. We lived close to each other, and we'd end up at his house in the basement, where his room was. He was very into lifting and heavy metal, and we'd talk for hours. Nothing ever came of it, but we did have a good time at the dance. Again, a true gentleman.

- I'd also known Jodi R. since 2nd grade. Always into sports and full of energy, we were in Bluebirds together, played softball and she never failed to do the right thing, in any situation. She still looks very full of energy, and I don't doubt that she still carries her glove everywhere she goes, ready for that pick-up game.

- Carter. Well, what can I say. Always the life of the party, and from the pics, that moniker remains true. Wondering what he won the trophy for?

These people, who I spend the better part of my childhood with, are now adults, such as I am. And while we are very different people now, we surely still possess many of the same traits we had back then. It would have been so interesting to catch up, and really see what's changed and what's remained the same about us all.

I will definitely be making my 25th - no doubt we'll all be even wiser by then, but will still let the crazy out!

No comments: