Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekend Playlist 7/24/09

Lots of music action this weekend:

Gogol Bordello - too much to list.
Greg Laswell - again, too much to list.
Lou Barlow - Emoh
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Son, Ambulance - Key
Spinnerette - Spinnerette
Shocking Pinks - Shocking Pinks
Eels - Hombre Lobo
The English Beat - I Just Can't Stop It

It was also a mixed-tape weekend. I've loaded up some of my favorite grade-school/Jr. High songs from the following albums:


Hall and Oats - Voices (1980)
This album had "Kiss On My List", and we used to skate to this and also play it at slumber parties. Totally cool to dance to, also. In your jammies.

Hall and Oats - Private Eyes (1981)
"Private Eyes" felt like a grown-up song to us. We used to sing it on the playground and the recess teachers would get mad. ???

The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat (1981)
This was my first record - I got it for my 9th birthday and my friend Julie and I memorized every lyric in every song, and made up dances too. We were so rad. What's funny is listening to this entire record, I heard definite nuances of X....

Styx - Kilroy Was Here (1983)
Ha! Curt Hassebrock, who had that cool factor back in grade school before we knew what that was, would go around and sing "Domo Origato Mr. Robato" in music class and make the robot moves on us gals.

Survivor - Vital Signs (1984)
"High On You". Oh my. So dreamy. And what a great video!! Was played at the sock hops.

Journey - Escape (1981)
"Don't Stop Believin" and "Open Arms" were always on the radio. Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on Sunday's and in the car was where I heard it the most.

Asia - Asia (1981)
"Heat Of The Moment" and "Only Time Will Tell". Thank you Judd Apatow for bringing back these most awesome tunes in "The 40 Year Old Virgin". Ahhhh....

REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity (1981)
"Take It On The Run" and "Keep On Loving You" were great for couples skate. Even better when that hot older guy from Jr. High asked you to dance/skate. Man, those were the days!




No comments: