Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Best Of 2009 - Music

In looking at the various "Best Of 2009" lists, I've come to accept I am not the hipster I thought I was - well, according to Pitchfork, Spin, Magnet, NME and Rolling Stone.

However, I am pleased to say I have at least 40% of the albums listed on the various Top 50's. Here are a few of my top picks:

The xx: The xx
- this is a phenomenal album I was very recently turned on to. I was told to "turn down the lights and turn that one up" to experience maximum aural pleasure. Try not to listen alone - this is a sexy, velvety album that demands your partial attention (the rest of your attention should be focused on the person who's with you under the covers...)

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- this is a fun album, light and progressive with an alternative feel. It does fall into the campy Vampire Weekend sound - it could be a soundtrack to a former youth you remember fondly, would like to repeat, and are constantly trying to recapture in your near-middle-age.

Dinosaur Jr.: Farm
- how could I resist this blast-group from my university past? The fact that they're still pushing out hits when they're pushing 45 makes me happy, and gives me less pause when I daydream about being a rock star at my age.

Royksopp: Junior
- it moves me. Nuff said.

Yo La Tengo: Popular Songs
- I respect a band that's easy, and Yo La puts out in a major way. They are on tour, and I am there...soon.

Crystal Stilts: Alight of Night
- I featured a video of this dirty genius machine earlier this year - grainy and highly melodic, and am pleased to say they made a few lists. Moody garage rock - their clips remind me of a Spits show I attended in a former life - loud, messy, hopelessly perfect. Hope to catch their show soon.

The Horrors: Primary Colors
- rock, through and through, with a hint of grime and goth. Again, a must see live band.

More lists later. I'm contemplating a "Top 10 Overrated Albums Picked By Snobbish Hipster Music Mags". Stay tuned.

No comments: