Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Paul Cerame Ford SUCKS, Dobbs ROCKS

I've had A/C issues with my Ford Explorer for the last four years.

When the car was under warranty, I used to take it to Paul Cerame Ford, the dealership where I purchased it.

The service department was run by the biggest bunch of hoosier morons I've ever encountered in my life. And because I've traveled to/through at least 38 states, I've met my fair share of people and can spot a hoosier moron from a good 100 yards in a dense fog.

These are the guys that tried to tell me that the make/model I purchased didn't come with a key fob. Hmm...really, now? I had to go to the Ford website and print off a list of parts that came with that make/model....and a key fob WAS ONE OF THEM.

They were just too lazy to locate one for me - we had to get the sales manager involved and then MAGICALLY a key fob appeared.

So back to the story - my A/C started to get funky a few years back. First the passenger side would start to blow hot, then the driver side would do the same, and then no A/C altogether. I took it to the Paul Cerame service department three times, and every time it was the same thing - the freon was low. And everytime I asked the same question - if you're ADDING freon, where is the existing freon ESCAPING TO THAT IT KEEPS NEEDING TO BE ADDED???? MIGHT THERE BE A LEAK????

"Nope, no leak" was the answer I kept hearing. This coming from the "nope, no key fob" geniuses.

Needless to say, the warranty ran out and I never went back.

Last summer I took my car to a very nice Christian-owned garage in Belleville, which is where I was working at the time of my next A/C crisis. He told me that the condenser was leaking freon, but he could "patch" it which would keep me going for awhile at a very low cost (he quoted the condenser fix at $900). I opted for the patch to get me through the summer. Worked fine.

So now it's a sauna, and I need air. Can't go back to Belleville as it's logistically impossible. So I took it to Dobbs - they've done a ton of work on my car in the last year, and I have always been satisfied.

I just got the estimate - same price. But now I also get a lifetime warranty on the condenser, and a lengthy explanation of what a condenser is, how it works in my car, what a dryer/filter/hose connection is, how they'll replace everything, etc. It helps to have that information, and I feel that they respect me enough to educate me.

So once again, I'm giving my business to Dobbs. I recommend Dobbs if you every have issues with brakes, A/C, bearing, suspension, alignment, transmission, etc.

I do NOT recommend PAUL CERAME FORD for anything. Well, unless you want a good example of a useless service department. Then, by all means, head on over - they're winners in that category.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Unique Auto Works LLC
(314) 352-8617
4725 Morganford Rd, St Louis, MO 63116

Best repair shop in St. Louis. Andy is the owner. Nice and honest guy.