Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cheaters

Some student reactions to the cheating scandal at UCF makes me worried for the direction this country is headed in.

Sure, cheating happens. Sometimes individually, sometimes en mass. But on this scale, and by seniors in the business program, well, really?

I think it's more than just a question of morality. It's a question of intelligence.

If you're a senior, and you don't think you can pass the midterm on your INTELLIGENCE ALONE, perhaps you should rethink your path.

I just took the most difficult exit exam of my life. It was truly hurtful to my brain. But if there had been a way to cheat, I wouldn't have done it. Why? Because the results will tell me whether or not I'm ready to go out there and apply what I've learned. And that is something I want to know.

I passed. And felt damn good that I did, on my merit & knowledge alone.

An exam is to test your knowledge, not to test your prowess for screwing with the system.

One student called it a witch hunt. He stated that he'd cheated before, it happens, and it will always happen. I wonder if the administration, upon seeing his interview, may offer him the chance to take an ethics class or face expulsion. He's obviously proved to be an idiot for admitting to cheating on a national stage.

Yup. This country is in trouble....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"An exam is to test your knowledge, not to test your prowess for screwing with the system."

So let me see if I have this right they have found considerable cheating in the business department of a university and you think that screwing with the system is not what the entire world of business and business school has become.

These clowns probably believe they flunk because they got caught not because cheating is, in and of itself wrong.

Wall St will be waiting for them with open arms.

Kristin said...

No, I didn't say that. And I don't believe that. Not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I wrote...