Saturday, October 24, 2009

Movie Review


Paranormal Activity

Rating: Worth It

This has been hyped as the "scariest movie ever made". I wouldn't call it that, but I would definitely call it frightening.

I went to see it last night, after I had accidentally read the ending on a review blog. I thought I had prepared myself sufficiently to get through it.

Um, nope.

There were a couple scenes that I had to turn my head away because I knew if I watched them, I would not sleep.

The other theater-goers were scared also - lots of shrieks and nervous laughter. That made the experience all the more fun. Plus, people left the movie halfway through - it was hard to take sometimes.

I did find that watching with your eyes squinted and your fingers in your ears muting the sound was an effective way of dealing with all the boos.

Because it's filmed with a hand-help and told from POV it's constantly compared to the Blair Witch project. I do not stand by that comparison. Have you ever watched those shows on TV where ghost hunters leave a camera on for hours, and then they catch spooky stuff happening that's unexplainable? Well, this is what happens in the movie. And it's pretty good shit.

That said, I am going to now tell you about some of the scariest scenes in case you want to see the movie but don't want to "protect" yourself from a sleepless night.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER


1. The Ouija Board - this scene is scary because no one is in the house when it starts to go bonkers. And then catches on fire. The entire theater screamed at this one.

2. Katie standing by the bed looking at her boyfriend for over an hour in the middle of the night. It's just damn creepy, and happens more than once. Because you get to thinking at this point, is it Katie or some demon?

3. Katie being pulled out of bed, legs first, by an invisible force and dragged out of the bedroom. It's one of the weirdest and creepiest things I've ever seen - I think what makes it so creepy is that it looks REAL.

4. The ending - since I had already read about this, I decided not to watch it. Good thing - again, the entire theater jumped out of their pants.

SPOILER ALERT! ALTERNATE ENDING BELOW!!!

4 comments:

DoeHands said...

I bought a vhs camcorder (that I still have not used) after seeing a friend's baby videos where birthday candles were lit and the lights went out, and the autofocus on the lens does some horribly terrific magic that looks supernatural, and then a few years ago at LACMA I saw this exhibit that had all sorts of things that were "captured" on camera and you can never tell which is the ghost and which is a ghost of the machine, so I'm always skeptically interested in this type of magic.

captcha- rionen- just reminds me of the song 'Rhiannon'

Jeff said...

Just got back from it.
Inventive way to tell a ghost story? Yes.
Scary at all? no.

Kristin said...

Doe - yeah, alot of the weird stuff Ghost Hunters deal with comes up as plumbing or some other plausible explanation. Keep the VHS Camcorder - might be nice to use it someday to get that "old fashioned" effect.

Jeff - since nothing about this movie was scary to you, what movie (if any) has scared you?

Jeff said...

There aren't many.
Here are the ones that creeped me out and had scenes or images that stuck with me:
The Entity
6th sense
The Ring