Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Talk is cheap

So I get a call this afternoon, and I was thinking it was one of the tox docs returning my call to set up the interview for the new blog. Nope, it was someone calling from my bank who wanted to discuss a new Identity Theft program they have and if I would like to join. And it was from a 314 area code number.

Right. My bank NEVER calls me. I get emails and snail mail, never a phone call.

So my guard is immediately up.

I tell the caller that I would like to join, but feel more comfortable dropping into my brand to talk to a representative face to face. The caller says that's fine, wished me a good day and hangs up.

I immediately call my bank and tell them the story. They confirm that they are calling their customers about the new service. I ask if they were sending out mail or email - they said they sent out mail.

I didn't get the mailing - if I had, I wouldn't have been so suspicious.

However, this really irks me. I feel like they are getting desperate to resort to calling their customers, especially when it's about IDENTITY THEFT. And they are taking up my minutes.

They send me emails all the time. I also receive mail every once in awhile. Both forms of communication are traceable and verifiable and more than fine with me. I rarely give out any personal information via phone, unless I've made the call and confirm it's the right destination.

I am less than pleased with my bank at the moment - the reason I chose this bank years and years ago was that it didn't go through a buyout. I bank at another institution (got a giftcard for signing up through my former employer) and might consider consolidating my accounts into one - probably the latter and not the former.

No comments: