Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Movie Review


So instead of seeing "New Moon" this weekend, I saw "Precious" instead.

Glad I did.

I'm not going to go into details, but the lead character has had a rough life, as many people have. There are millions of personal stories out there that are drawn by abuse, pain, and hopelessness. The story of Precious is nothing new. But what is new is the way her story is told.

Very fine performances by all involved. Having seen interviews with Gabourney Siddibe, it's pretty amazing what she did in terms of bringing the character of Precious to life. Mariah Carey dirts-down well, and her subdued performance isn't necessarily Oscar worthy, but deserves accolades.

The real stand-out, in my opinion, is Monique. She should be nominated for an Oscar. Not because the movie is being touted by Oprah and Tyler Perry, but because she embodied this monster of a mother and made you forget you were watching a comedienne.

I've heard that she's demanding more money for attending debuts and press junkets - I say go for it. This may be her only shot at this, so why not milk it for all it's worth? This film will go on to make some real money, so kudos to her for trying to get in on the take.

I saw the movie at the Esquire, which made the experience even more engaging as it was interactive. The energy from the crowd, the reactions, were tangible.

I'm often disappointed with films that come with so much hype. I got burned too many times. There are also a few films I have never seen, because I know I will be disappointed and have better things to do with my life (Amelie, The Lion King, etc.).

This film, in my opinion, doesn't live up to the hype - it transcends it.

No comments: