Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Perspective

It's all about keeping things in perspective.

I got taught a lesson last night in class. And I'm determined to remember this lesson when dealing with people in everyday life.

I have a professor whom I personally like very much. We are about the same age, graduated from the same school around the same time, and we have a very good rapport. However, he is very disorganized. So disorganized that it's made this class very difficult to navigate and enjoy. But I feel like he's putting forth the effort to teach as best he can - he brings note cards to class, uses PPT presentations, and his lectures are long.

So, needless to say it's been a frustrating semester. The rest of the class feels the same, and is not ashamed to roll their eyes or gripe under their breathe during class. I keep my griping to myself, but I still feel bothered, and have often thought that perhaps he needs some additional training before he tries to teach a class.

Last night, towards the end of the lecture, he started to talk about how his career path was changed which has lead him to where he is today - a professor, a counselor.

Less than two years ago his two children died in a car accident.

That explains a lot.

He is still finding his way.

He is still recovering.

And he is doing the best that he can.

And that is all most people do - the best that they can.

So was I doing the best I could to deal with my annoyance? No.

I sat there, feeling ashamed that I did was not able to see past my frustration and think about why he might be having difficulty.

And yes, perhaps he needs a bit more training before he is in charge of his own class. But maybe what he needs is a fair, honest and comprehensive review of his teaching style, so that he can improve. Any time I finish a class, I am asked to assess the professor and the course. I am always truthful, and take the time to put thought and effort into the assessment.

I will be doing the same for him.

After he told his story, he wrapped up class for the night. Only a few people thanked him for sharing, and the majority of the class bolted from the room.

I felt the need to connect with him, partly because I felt terrible for not thinking past my own frustration, but because he shared something so personal and painful and I wanted to thank him for it.

I related this situation to my aunt after class, and she said what I was thinking - this was a lesson that I can learn from and should remember.

And I will.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Yikes. Don't think I would have any desire to go on after something like that.