Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Match game

So my friend is getting back into online dating. I did it years ago, and it was loads of fun.

One thing we both agree on is this - the way a profile is crafted can disclose a lot about the person. Not just the words they choose, but the words they don't choose. In polling a couple other friends, I've concluded that intelligent women, on the whole, associate certain words or phrases with specific characteristics. The end result? A fast sprint for the hills or stumbling over the keyboard to get a message out right quick.

Here are a few interpretations:

What he says: "I spend most weekends at the lake boating"
What he means: "I am still not a grown up, now get me a cold one and show me your t*ts."

What he says: "I like to play with children."
What he means: "I am trying to impress all of the women out there who have kids." This creeps most women out. Just tell us you'd like to have a family someday, that is as straightforward as it comes. Playing with children can have many connotations, thanks to MJ and the clergy.

What he says: "I enjoy watching sports (Cards, Blues, Rams) and going to games."
What he means: "Even though I list other things that I like, sports are number one. Now get me a cold one and move away from the television."

What he says: "I don't like women who are negative. I don't like women who have baggage."
What he means: "I have been burned before, and am jaded enough by the female species to state the obvious. I may be quite negative myself." Come on. We all want someone who's positive, it's a given. And we ALL have baggage - it's all in how you carry it. :-)

What he says: "I like to cuddle while listening to thunder storms and pet kittens."
What he means: "I copied these lines from other profiles, I have no imagination or depth, but I will write what I think you want to hear."

I realize this is a two-way street and many women use similar bad lines, but I'm only speaking from my experience.

If we get the storm tonight and I have time, I may post more interpretations and fabulous insight (ha).

No comments: