Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shakin' off 2009

...and dancing into 2010.

I just spent the last hour doing just that, to Vampire Weekend's new album Contra. It doesn't disappoint - still has that privileged, spunky spiffiness that's a popped collar on a warm and sun-soaked Martha's Vineyard afternoon. I dug it enough to shimmy myself into a good mood...

I am excited about this year's music offerings. So far, a few good concerts tix burning a hole in my pocket - Yo La Tengo, BRMC, and Mr. Dando. Debating about Galactic...not quite there yet. Asobi Seksu is dropping by The Old Rock House, highly recommended.

Some new music that's been burning up my iPod as of late:

Small Black - Small Black
Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances
Japanese Motors - Luxury Wafers Live
Fever Ray - Fever Ray

And a special surprise...

M83 - Saturdays = Youth
It sounds like my Jr. High days...Drakkar Noir, Breakfast Club, high-tops, making out at the movies, perms and crusing main.

At the end of today, my coworker came over to discuss our plans for Yo La Tengo, and we got on the topic of electronica and New Wave. Erasure, Joy Division and Depeche Mode were discussed, as was Kraftwerk. My coworker in the next cube overheard, and keyed up "Autobahn".....bahn, bahn, bahn....autobahn. Good stuff, hadn't heard it since my college days.

That said, I give you a taste...of the mighty Kraftwerk! Pop Stew, circa 1975 - "Kraftwerk have a name for this, "machine music"....classic!

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Well, damn, you just can't beat the live version of Autobahn. And to think that today they probably could have made that record with a computer the size of a frigging ipod!