Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Money Shot

Yesterday was crazy, hence the reason I missed posting. Right now I'm logging video from yesterday, and it's capturing so I have a couple minutes to post...

Yesterday morning was unreal. Watching these teams of nurses, doctors, and the like come together like a well-oiled machine was an amazing experience. To watch the entire removal of a kidney (slicing through the fascia and fat - whew!), see it extracted from someone's body and placed in another human being is beyond words. What a great gift from a brother to a sister.

Standing for hours, sometimes in a still position, can wreak a bit of havoc on a body - I was very sore last night by the time I got home from class. However, when I think about how sore the two patients are today, my brief and minor misery is a speck compared to what they are going through. Also the doctors - they do this kind of thing most every day. Miracle workers, saints and athletes, every damn one of them.

Seeing the footage now, I'm reminded of the beeping monitors, the soft talking between the nurse and the anesthesiologist, and the slight clicks of the instruments doing their work. The smells of antiseptic, cauterized innards and the paper mask I had to where throughout. The money shot is when the patient successfully makes urine - and we got it.

Rendering done - gotta get back to work...more later.

No comments: