Thursday, January 15, 2009

Charlie Sexton/Some Kind Of Wonderful


Couldn't end the afternoon without hearing this classic, Beat So Lonely, but Charlie Sexton circa 1986.

The song was featured in one of my all time, favorite movies, Some Kind Of Wonderful, starring Eric Stolz (king of indie cool in the 90's) as Keith, the cool but dorky, lone art student who doesn't fit in but doesn't care. Mary Stuart Masterson stars as his asexual buddy Watts, the little drummer girl who hides a soft heart beneath a wrenching bravado.

This is a movie completely made up of one-liners...

-It's a party, it's not the end of the world. (Hardy Jens to Keith)
-It's better to swallow pride than blood. (Watts to Keith)
-You look good, wearing my future. (Keith to Watts)


This particular song was playing when Keith and his new detention skinhead buddies broke up Hardy's party and declared victory over the cool kids. Elias Koteas played the lead skinhead, a dreamy sort of fellow, who later went on to star in Cronenberg's Crash, a fairly controversial film at the time of it's release (I'll save this for a later post).

Anyway, let's enjoy this song and end this Thursday workday on a good tempo.-

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I love Crash. I saw it at the Tivoli when it came out. I've hesitated buying it on dvd, because so many of Cronenbergs films get cool SE discs, so...

Kristin said...

Me too. Crash blew my mind - that people sat on bleachers to watch the carnage, like spectators at a football game, is priceless. Cronenberg is a dark man who I can't get enough of.Wonder if the DVD has any good extras on it?

I just watched House Of 1,000 Corpses again, and the extras blow. I wanted more Rob Zombie interviews...ah well. Cracks me up when Sid Haig is interviewed and uses his "normal" voice.