Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Diane Lane circa 1980's




I am not tired in the least, so I rummaged through my movie dresser and pulled out my bootleg copy of Ladies And Gentlemen...The Fabulous Stains (LAGTFS to us true fans).

Great movie.

Grrrrl power all the way.

I remember when I first saw this flick, I think I was 11 or 12, and it was on Night Flight. Does anyone remember that program on USA? That was where I was first exposed to punk and underground films. Great songs like "I Want Candy" and "Fish Heads" by Barnes & Barnes. For a sheltered little Dakota girl, it was eye-opening stuff.

I digress.

LAGTFS had a great lineup - Diane Lane, Laura Dern, Ray Winstone, and members of the Clash, the Tubes and Sex Pistols. Incredible. Mixed various genres of music, like ska, metal and punk. I so badly wanted "white stripes", or even to wear makeup, like Corrine "3rd Degree" Burns. Magic. I loved the ending, where they did a "flash forward" of what the Stains were up to years later, looking like they just stepped out of a Glamour Shots studio a la Go-Go's, all New Wave and grown up. Too funny.

On a side note, it's my opinion that the White Stripes derived their name from this movie. Diane Lane's character dyes her hair with "white stripes" on the side, and wears only black and red clothing. Sounds a bit too familiar, dontcha think???

Second side note - another much-forgotten Diane Lane gem is "Streets Of Fire". Great cast - Michael Pare, Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan, Willem Dafoe, E.G. Daily (from Valley Girl).

No comments: