Wednesday, January 14, 2009

KoKoNut


KoKoNut is the dog my former fiance decided we needed to BUY New Years Eve 2004. Her papers FROM THE BREEDER (*shame*) say that she is a Pekingese, but we later found out that she is actually a Tibetan Spaniel. Tibbies are in the same family as Pekes, they have a more lean and agile body and a not-so-smushy face. They are known for their stubborness, as is KoKo.

She is a very loving dog, she likes to give lots of stanky kisses, jump up and bite your butt when you get home from work (or wherever), and she will come over and plop down next to you when you're laying on the bed, floor, couch, etc. and keep you warm. She does all these things, but only on HER terms.

She doesn't share or play well with others, so when Oliver Smallville comes to visit, whatever toy he attempts to play with is quickly stolen away by the deadly little Nut jaws. Oliver, being the sweet soul that he is, acquiesces and chooses instead to stare longingly at the toy that was once his, if only for a brief moment.

KoKoNut was born of the Devil, we think, and for the first six months of her life, she just spewed fluid to the four corners of whatever room she inhabited. Pee, poo, vomit, drool, snot - you name it. Finally, it got to be too much, life was getting to be intolerable with her presence. That said, I was dispatched one Saturday morning to the pound to relinquish said Devil spawn. During the car ride to the Humane Society, I told her why we made the decision, and looked at her to see if she understood. She chose, at that very moment, to lay down on the front seat and give me a look that melted any hatred I had for the little white puffball of evil. Her eyes turned from a devil's milky, bloodshot yellow to an angelic clear blue.

I turned around just blocks from the HS, and as I headed back to our house, my phone rang. My fiance, assuming I had already dispatched the furry fiend to the shelter, pleaded with me to go back and retrieve her. When I told him of the exchange that had just moments before happened between me and the now fuzzy angel, he said he would be waiting at the front door with open arms and treats galore.

From that day on, the spewing, shitting, dribbling, dropping and drooling ceased, and our little devil has been (mostly) a gift from the heavens above.

The attached picture was taken one April morning at the fountain in downtown St. Louis. She's a happy dog.

1 comment:

xavier said...

i like the kokonut name :-)