Thursday, January 15, 2009

Nippy


It's 2º outside. That's dang cold. Frost on the windshield cold. Cover your ears cold. But not so cold that I can't hack it...read on.

In my hometown of Dickinson, ND, it's currently -27º. That's butt cold. Frost on your eyelids cold. Cover every piece of exposed flesh cold. Stay in and make soup because it's too dangerous to drive to Bonanza for chicken friend steak cold.

They expect a warming trend this weekend - it will be a balmy 0º. Break out the grill, we's having a BBQ.

Growing up, when the weather got to be at least 50º, we would wear shorts and vests (no coats) to school. Oh, ya, that was like summer to us, don't ya know. You betcha.

If the weather was above 0º, we would do something outside for gym...even in HS. Like going for a half-hour run to the park and back...in 1 1/2 feet of snow. Or going cross-country skiing. I kid you not.

Sometimes, instead of running in that retarded cold, Jan Selle would pick us up (she had free period) and drive us to Hardee's for a Mushroom-n-Swiss which we would eat in her car, listening to Poison or AC/DC. That was back when Hardee's hamburger patties were spongy-greasy-good, not huge hunks of dead charred cow like they are today. Mmmm - not so much.

Anyway, it's cold out there. Be safe - keep warm.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

So it was the days of Hardees soon after the bought out Burger Chef? WHich as a kid was my favorite fast food place. Since their Name used to be Burger Chef and Jeff. And how could I not like a place that had my name in it. plus they were the inventors of the happy meal.

Kristin said...

I think so - jeez, I haven't heard the name Burger Chef in a long time. Nice factoid about the happy meal - most people (me included) probably attribute that to Mickie D's.

Jeff said...

The first prize with food, was you would get your burger in a little box, with kid based puzzles and game crap on it, and a prize would be inside much like a prize would be in cracker jacks. Then they moved on to a full meal that came in a really cool holder, that I will never be able to describe. maybe I can fine a pic of it online.

Jeff said...

Image of the happy meal box.
And there is an old Burger Chef & Jeff TV spot posted on my blog.