Monday, January 26, 2009

My Family


I ran across this picture of my mom and brother taken on Christmas Eve 2007. It was taken at my aunt Deb's house. I'm sure my mom will kill me for posting this picture, but I think it's a really nice one of her.

That's my brother Jeff standing next to her. He doesn't always look that mental, he's playing it up for the picture. He's an orthopedic surgeon, and a darn good one. He's been to Iraq twice, courtesy of the USAF, and helped to save the lives of soldiers as well as Iraqi civilians and insurgents. He's out of the Air Force now, thank goodness, safe and sound in St. Louis.

My mom came for Christmas this year also, and I believe she is reverse aging. She looked about 15 years younger. I remember when we all met up at the Olive Garden the night she flew in, I sat next to her and was amazed at how luminous and wrinkle free her face was. She was radiant. Since I'm adopted, I won't be able to claim those good genes, but maybe I can attribute her healthy glow to growing up in ND, so that I can get in on the secret.

When it snows out, like it is doing now, I miss my home, and my mom. Even though I believe that my old room has been turned into the "computer room", I'm sure I could walk in that room and feel just right. I wish I could wake up there tomorrow morning, knowing it's a snow day by the sound of her in the kitchen making pancakes with the TV on listing the school closings. That's the best.

Then later, when we'd be playing Boggle, she'd put on the Chuck Mangione record. Something soothing like that.

So, I saw this picture, and it's the closest I'm going to get to home right now.

And there you have it.

No comments: