Thursday, May 7, 2009

Brandt's Revisited

Earlier this week, I wrote about my recent terrible experience at Brandt's Cafe in University City. I also posted a review on Yelp.com.

I received an email today that I had a message on my Yelp account. I logged on, and found that the Executive Chef, Ben Welch, had responded to my review.

This is what he had to say:

As the Chef at Brandt's I take full responsibility for your less than appropriate meal on cinco de mayo. I had all intentions of trying to provide a somewhat "authentic" soft taco ( just providing onion, cilantro and lime). Unfortuanetly in this case it didn't go over well. I will make no excuses for the fat on the chicken or the "fragile" tortillas. We failed you miserably on those. I assure you that i took your comments (left on the bill, those repeated from the server and your blog) very seriously. Everything was corrected abruptly.

The menu has changed and for that matter gotten smaller with the hopes of providing diners a meal that can focus more on quality than quantity.

I hope that this meal won't keep you from returning to give the menu a chance. We at brandts take blogs, reviews and/or comments in general very serious as we continue our "rebirth" of Brandts. hope you understand that ours is a work in progess and we will continue to make mistakes but will do everything possible to listen to our guests to provide this community with the type of establishment that everyone knows and expects from Brandts.

thanks for your time and consideration,

Ben Welch
Executive Chef
Brandt's Cafe
_________________
____________________

I appreciate that he responded and took ownership of their shortcomings - that, to me, says a lot about how they want to be perceived. But they stopped short of reimbursing me for the money I wasted on an extremely sub-par meal, or offering some sort of restitution. So, they're customer service is still lacking.

I think it's a smart thing to realize the power of social media, and how fast word of mouth can spread with help from blogs, online reviews, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

A couple things:

1. I liked the old menu, BECAUSE it had many choices. I will miss their Mediterranean platter, their variety of salads, and many other items. A smaller menu does not mean that the food gets better - case in pont, my latest dining experience. I'd never had a problem with the food from the old menu - it was phenomenal. Every season, they would add great new dishes, and never bombed. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

2. I had hoped they would address the fact that when a customer states that they've just had the most awful dining experience at their restaurant, the wait staff would be more proactive in solving the problem. While I'm not sure if my waiter was new, he didn't take any action until I spelled it out for him. And the action he took was to shield any future customers from that awful experience, but that does nothing for me...

3. I still think I should have been comped. Yes, it was a measly $7.89, but in this economy, every penny counts.

Will I go back to Brandt's? If they offered me a free meal and proved to me that it's worth going back, I will give them a chance. Otherwise, I'll think back fondly on all of the good meals I had there, and chalk it up to another good restaurant bites the dust.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

While taking the time to write and respond to your review is nice, they still made no efforts to win you back. Had they asks for a way to contact you or take you name and invite you back for a special complimentary meal, they might have easily won you back and gotten positive social media PR from you.

MAny years ago, when buying Fitz's cream soda at the grocery store we had 2 weeks in a row where the soda we bought was flat. I emailed Fitz's just to let them know that a bad case or shipment might have been sent to that particular Schnucks. They shipped me a case of cream soda for free. That made me a loyal customer.

Eammon Azizi said...

Brandt's has become more of a drinking spot than a dinner spot. Especially after the original owner sold it.

I've always found the food sub-par, especially with the high prices.

The only reason I'll go there now is a quick drink. The bar area is fine.

Kristin said...

Jeff, you make a good point. Perhaps I would give them a chance if they offered up a complimentary meal. I find it appalling that they didn't go the distance in their customer service. Your story about Fitz's is a great example of how a small gesture can solidify a lasting customer relationship.

Eammon, I obviously agree with the sub=par food comment, but not with the bar area. If I want to drink, I'll hit up The Delmar, BBHill, or even Riddles before I would step foot in Brandts. It was much better when they had their microbrew/spirit shop inside...a warm and inviting atmosphere, very unique. Now, it looks similar to a couple dozen local restaurants that are constantly on the verge of shuttering.

Eammon Azizi said...

Kristin, yeah. I should have put more emphasis on the word "fine."

It's definitely not a top choice, especially against the nearby competition.

And the few times I've ordered something rare off of their drink menu, it usually takes the staff off-guard, as they search the basement for it...like Omegan beer.

DoeHands said...

yeah, i remember really liking their tiny pew pub style seats and great menu a few years back, and then my (then) boyfriend and I went back a few years later and the menu, although different wasn't bad, but it was remodeled in the weirdest way...they had a band there that reminded us of that lounge band in Lost In Translation (I think they were called 'Salsalito' in the movie?) and is the little market even in there any more?

Kristin said...

HL - there is no more market, which is a bummer...I always liked perusing the microbrews. You're right - it is decorated kind of loungy.