Tuesday, May 5, 2009

RESTAURANT REVIEW - BRANDT'S CAFE

Rating: 0 Stars (see below for ratings chart)

I just had the most disappointing experience at Brandts. I've never been less than satisfied there - they usually have such a great menu, decent service, and impeccable fare. Today was the exception - and it was a BIG exception.

We went there for lunch and were the only customers. The menu has gotten a lot smaller, and our waiter told us about the Cinco de Mayo specials. There was a roasted chicken taco special for $5, which sounded appetizing, and I ordered that. Here's where it gets really bad.

I received a plate with a few onions, a slice of lime, parsley, and something wrapped in tinfoil. I opened the tinfoil, and inside were three very small tacos wrapped in soft shells with plain chicken. No sauce. No queso. No sour cream. Nothing.

When I attempted to pick one up, the soft shell disintegrated in my hands. Were they old? Who knows. And since our waiter was MIA, I had to seek him out to ask for salsa and sour cream, as the chicken was so dry.

THEN....as I'm chewing my second piece of chicken, I notice that it's rubbery and mushy. I took it out of my mouth, and saw that it was a huge piece of fat. Upon further investigation, I found that all of the chicken slices had gobs of fat attached to them. Completely disgusting.

I couldn't finish the meal, it was just so terrible. Finally, when my coworker and I were finished, the waiter finally showed up and asked how everything was. I told him it the most terrible meal I've ever had at Brandts. He seemed unfazed by my comments, and I told him that if he continued to serve this dish, he probably wouldn't be getting much in the way of tips. Hint, hint.

He took our money, returned shortly, and told me that he had spoken with the chef, and I would be happy to know that they'll be fixing the dish.

Ok. Woohoo. So, how does that help me out? I just paid for a crappy meal.

The bill was $7.79. I gave my zombie of a waiter $7.80. I then proceeded to write the following on the receipt:

"I'm so very glad that the chef is fixing the dish. Hopefully then you'll have customers that want to tip you."

Idiot. I should have been comped for such an incredibly bad meal. I will never grace their doorstep with my presence again.

Word of mouth goes a long way.

***** Fantabulous! Run, don't walk, to this eatery!
**** Wowza - I didn't think it would be this good
*** Nothing special, but at least I'm full
** Is there a McDonalds around?
* This tripe is worse than what you get at Kram Fish
0 Run away....fast.

No comments: