Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Great Day


It's my birthday today. I don't feel older, I actually feel younger. And wiser. The last year has been challenging, and as the saying goes, you learn more about yourself during the tough times than you do in the calm times. And I'm sticking with that.

I received many celebratory shout-outs from friends and family today, some of whom I haven't heard from in a while. Chatting with my peeps throughout the day was better than any present I might have hoped for. To know that one person is thinking about you is lovely - that many have you in their thoughts is heartwarming.

To all of you who got at me today, thanks - you made my day!

My new coworker asked me how old I was, and I asked her to guess. She said late 20's. When I told her my real age, she demanded a look at my drivers license. If it wouldn't have been considered sexual harrasment, I might have kissed her.

I don't have a "on the day you were born" story like my friend HLD, because I was adopted when I was about six weeks old. But that's okay - I get to celebrate both, thanks to my family. I'll share that story on 7/9.

What did I do on my birthday? Got up and swam, went to work, caught up with good friends and family, and just finished kickboxing. I am looking forward to a shower, and watching very bad dance auditions on So You Think You Can Dance via Tivo. Yes, a little guilty pleasure on your birthday is warranted. And this is as guilty as I'm getting tonight.

My day was, in a word, perfect.

1 comment:

MaggieJoon said...

Happy Birthday! (I have now said that in 3 different ways - text, here and facebook.) I told Keyvan how old you are and he didn't believe me. He said you look way younger. You must tell him it's true so he doesn't think I am lying to him!