Monday, May 4, 2009

Movie Review - The Wrestler


It just didn't hold my attention.

I'm not sure what the hype was about. Mickey Rourke buffs up to play an aged professional wrestler who scrapes by in life and his body (heart specifically) is running out of time. Blah, blah, blah.

It was mildly depressing, and not very interesting. I kept waiting for it to get better, but it never did.

Marissa Tomei looks great for someone who's 44. She was the highlight of the movie for me - why isn't she in more movies?

It was very difficult watching the mashed potato-face mess who used to be so handsome try to speak. It really kinda grossed me out.

I'll say it again - where did my Mickey go?

Before:


After:

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Interesting.
I thought it was easily one of the best movies of last year. It almost felt like a documentary to me. The camera always just seemed to be there. It all felt very natural and unplanned. And while I enjoy seeing Marissa naked, I think she was the one miscast person in the movie. I think the stripper needed to be a little saggier and not so hot. It made the scene where the young guys are trying to get her away from them very hard to believe.

Kristin said...

Yeah. If it had been a documentary, I probably would have liked it. If I wasn't so hung up on old Mickey, it might have had a chance with me. Re: the stripper, she looked aged in the face, so it made sense to me why the young guys would want to concentrate on the younger ones. If you were their age, would you have given up the $1's to Marissa, or someone more your age? :-)

DoeHands said...

Having not seen it and only heard why it was so awesome...I think it was mostly Marissa naked.

I saw a pic of Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger together that was taken recently and although hers is more tasteful- they both look like they've had some work done.

Kristin said...

I saw that pic too - they are both in this new movies called The Informers. Didn't see ANY hype on it, and suddenly it's out in theaters. Weird. They do looking worked on - but I can still tell who Kim Basinger is - can't say the same for Mick.

Cliff said...

I enjoyed the documentary style of the film. But I am a huge fan of the director, Darren Arnofsky. I saw his first film, called "Pi" in the theaters. It was about some fellow who was going to use math and patterns to solve everything. His best film was "Requiem for a Dream" which grabs the viewer and takes the viewer literally through the downward spiral of addiction. "The Fountain" is an interesting study of perhaps Zen. it is poorly edited and the result of some funding issues but is a very ethereal film. You have probably seen some of these films, but I am sure that they would interest you as a psych doctorate candidate.