Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bliss


I just spent the last hour listening to Beck's "Sea Change" album from '02.

Wow.

I'd forgotten how lovely it is.

I remember when I first heard it - it was a cool autumn evening in 2002, and I was the passenger in a dark green Acura Legend, on a clandestine mission to the Venice Cafe. I was amazed when he told me it was Beck's new CD we were listening to, because it was so austere and melancholy. But it did the trick, and put me in a very open and receptive mood.

I believe that for the next three years that was my subliminal soundtrack. I used to wish I'd never heard it, or at least on that evening.

I Guess I'm Doing Fine now, because my Lonely Tears have subsided and I'm no longer a Lost Cause. At the End Of The Day, I realized it's All In Your Mind.

I've since made new memories to accompany this album.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I have cool versions of those songs recorded live when he toured with The Flaming lips and they not only opened but performed as his backing band.

Kristin said...

Nice...would love to hear them.