Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Shape Of Things


The title of this post fits my mood.

As far as rating things in my life, all areas are now "taking shape". I used to measure moods, ideas, situations, relationships, etc. on a numerics level (1 to 10). I now visualize all things in my life as shapes.

Some of them fall into squares/blocks, as they are contained, ridgid entities that grow and shrink with time but never lose their original shape (the addition or loss of family).

Others areas of my life (career, training, education, music, artistic aspirations, chaos) are ever-changing, free-floating amoebas that bend, stretch, swoop and bulge with burgeoning ideas, new directions and morphing ideals.

The latest is my friendship shape, or friendshape.

With the loveliness that is Facebook, I have reconnected with some very old and dear friends from my youth, and a few of these connections have brought to the present fond memories of the past. I've reconnected with my friend Jan, who was one of the three gals I palled around with in HS, and I've really enjoyed catching up with her. Not much has changed about her, and I wouldn't have it any other way. She's one of the most vibrant, kind and positive souls on this earth, and the fact that she's held steady over the years, well, the world is a better place for it.

The addition of Jan has added a nice little outward curve to my blob of friendshape. I see that curve, and it makes me happy it's been added.

I recently reconnected with someone else, someone who holds a special place in my past. Yup - the guy who taught me how to drive a stick.

Gals, I know that most of you reading this had a fella in high school who was gracious enough to let you behind his prized wheel, and patiently guided you through the arduous process of operating a stick shift. When to take it up to second, ease up on the clutch, just enough to accelerate and not kill the car. How to pop it into gear, or just let it coast. Maybe they had alterior motives for the lessons, maybe not. Either way, it's something you never forget...the power of operating heavy machinery. Man, what a rush.

I just reconnected with my Stick Shift guy, David. He was an original - in a good way. Couldn't really label him back then, and in my opinion that's rare in HS. He was (still is) very creative, thoughtful, a smartie, positive, open, and just plain nice. He didn't have an ulterior motive (that I recall, anyway). I believe he's one of those good guys who lived in the moment, and probably thought it would be fun.

It was fun. And because he was such a good teacher, I have owned two vehicles that were stick shifts and drove them very well.

He's now entered my friendshape, and I'm glad to see his new niche in the outline.

No comments: