Tuesday, April 28, 2009

More favorite words

After choosing "froishe" as my new favorite word this week, I got to thinking about all of the other words I've come to know and love over the years. Here are a few:

Breadth - to me, this is such a soft, whispery yet expansive word.

Milquetoast - I'm a pushover for this word. Really, any word that has "toast" in it wins my favor. Throw in a word that sounds like milk, and I'm toast.

Requiem - I like it because it sounds quiet, easy and tranquil...but it isn't.

Jiffy - because it sounds exactly like what it means.

Serendipity - what a great word! It sounds like a magical made-up place where children (and adults) get to play all day, the candy shelves are always stocked, and no bedtime. The fact that it means a surprising happy occurance makes sense.

Spanikopita - the name of a greek ship? Nope - just a tasty feta cheese/spinach appetizer. Delicious. I like how crisp the word is also - very direct.

Panache - French in it's origin, it has no English meaning. When I hear it or see it, I think of white, starched shirts, cufflinks, a smoking jacket and beignets w/jam. Old-school style, baby.

Verisimilitude - a complicated way to say "similar" or "like"...which I like.

Cupcake
- no explanation needed.

Tchotchkes - I enjoy the "tch" repetition, and the meaning...trinkets. This girl likes trinkets.

Scootch - we said this a lot growing up. It means to move, scoot, slide, make way. Scootch over, man!

1 comment:

MaggieJoon said...

My favorite word has always been "Crisp." I'm not sure why, but I remember saying it all the time when I was about nine just because I liked how it sounded.