Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

My mom, Diane Whiting, was born 65 years ago today. Wow!!!

When I look at her age written out like that, it seems so darn old. But age is a state of mind, and in my mom's case, she's very young at heart. And looks it, too.

Here are some fun facts about Diane I bet you didn't know:

- My mom likes circus peanuts and licorice. She will admit to the licorice, but not to the circus peanuts, so I'm outing her right here and now.

- My mom treats her belongings very well - everything she has looks brand new.

- My mom is a huge fan of Barry Manilow, and even took me and my brother to his concert when we were gradeschoolers. We all rocked out to Copacobana, the actual year it was a hit (I think). In fact, she was so high on Barry, she bought a new car the next day.

- My mom taught 1st and 2nd grade for a kajillion years (33 to be exact), and whenever one of her former students sees her, they want to hug her. Yup - she was that loved.

- My mom never let us drink Kool-aid, for which I'm thankful (too much sugar). However, we always had every flavor of pop in the house, for which I'm also thankful. Because Root Beer floats rock!

- My mom is a hottie - always has been, and always will be. When she wears her boot-cut, low-waist distressed jeans, she can pass for a 16-yr old cheerleader from behind. Way.

- My mom and I have the best time once we're in the dressing room - we laugh like there's no tomorrow.

- My mom always made me wear a hat, gloves, scarf, and boots, which was unfashionable and sucked at the time, but this is probably why I don't suffer from frostbite anywhere on my body today.

- My mom is good in the kitchen. I love her cooking. I will never get enough of her spaghetti, chicken casserole, grilled cheese, pizza burgers, stove-top pudding, or banana bread. I would be happy living off of these six dishes for the rest of my life, but she would need to make them for me, because it's not the same when I make them myself.

- My mom paid for my teeth, boobs, and elopement/honeymoon. The teeth and boobs are holding up quite well, and although I'm divorced, my first trip to Vegas was unforgettable. Thanks again, Mom!

- My mom loves Walmart. Which is perfect, because she was presented with an offical Walmart vest as part of her winning Teacher of the Year. We're all still waiting for the official word that she's been recruited as a greeter.

- My mom can bail out a window well with the best of 'em.

- My mom has the prettiest hands. She should've been a hand model.

- My mom used to wash my hair when I was little, and I HATED it. So to let me know she was almost finished, she would turn the cold water on for a second and that made it all better.

- My mom used to let me clean out her jewelry box for money - that was always such a fun time.

- My mom liked Juicy Fruit gum when we were growing up, so every time I smell it I think of her, the big green Buick and going on road trips to Bismarck for back-to-school shopping. Good times!!!

And my favorite fun fact...

- My mom NEVER refused a trip to Taco Johns. Ever. What a mom!!! :-)

2 comments:

DoeHands said...

i like these new things we learned about you! :)

Kristin said...

Thanks - I'm not afraid to let my dork flag fly. :-)