Saturday, April 25, 2009

Through The Walls We Hear The City Groan


A random bullet was found by my neighbors in their loft the other day.

They came home at 8 p.m. from grocery shopping on a weeknight, and when Dan sat down at his desk to get on the computer, he noticed a bullet sitting next to his mousepad.

911 - how can I help you?

According to the police, the shot was fired from an abandoned building two blocks away. A vacant lot separates our building from that building, so there's nothing standing in the way of any shots that may be fired.

Upon further inspection of Dan's loft, police determined that the bullet had entered the middle window, ricocheted off of his spare bedroom sliding-door bracket (which is warped now), and landed on his desk.

I chose my loft for the solitude, the unfettered view of the skyline, the authenticity of it's buildout (original floors, exposed brick, huge windows), the secure dog walking area, and the in-ground pool.

I like city living. I like country living, too. I'm from a small town, and while I'm a city gal now, given the opportunity I would embrace small-town living again with open arms. Those who know me well know that I am supremely flexible when it comes to where I live.

However, my safety is not flexible.

My loft faces a different view, and I have no doubt that it would be near impossible to aim a bullet into my living space. That makes me feel better.

But, it still gives me shivers to think about what could have happened had my neighbor not been out shopping. That stray bullet might have hit a different target, and the outcome might have been less outrageous and incredibly devastating.

But I have to say....I love my city.

Bullet the blue sky.

No comments: