Sunday, March 15, 2009

The little things mean.....

It was as low-key a weekend as one can get.

Nada on Friday, with the exception of breaking down and setting up some furniture. Finished watching "Milk", which was one damn fine film. I'll review it later. Definitely recommended.

Saturday morning, got up and worked out, tidied up. Lazed about in the afternoon, watched "I've Loved You So Long", another damn fine film featuring Kristin Scott Thomas.

Saturday night, went out to Mangia, had a nice looong and delicious meal. I noshed on seafood risotto, he tackled the sea snapper, we split the veggie toasted rav, and sipped on our favorite cocktails as we played the "what if" game. You know, "what if" you could go back in time to any day and place, who would you meet, what would you do differently, etc. That's always a good way to get to know someone better. What may seem to be a very minor bit of information can actually tell you a great deal about someone.

Met with my girlfriend Mary this morning for our usual weekend coffee catch-up. We sat outside at Soulard Coffee Garden - a bit chilly, but it was packed with hungover wannabe Irish lads and lasses. We ended the morning agreeing that even spending what amounts to sometimes only an hour a week together means a great deal to both of us. It's not the incriments of time, it's the depth of the conversation. She's become an amazing friend, and I'm lucky to know her.

Ran errands this afternoon (I hate malls), and got out on the bike for about an hour this afternoon. I am settling in for a nice evening of "me" time - mani/pedi, über-conditioning the hair, facial and at 8:00 my date with Bret (Rock Of Love Bus).

There's a poppy little show at The Firebird tonight - Cut Off Your Hands,Headlights, Pomegranate, and Gentleman Auction House. Also, if you want to shell out $25, Andrew Bird w/Heartless Bastards are at the Pageant. That is a concert I very much recommend. If it wasn't a schoolnight, I might venture out. I'm so lame.

On a side note, I snagged a copy of the March Spin magazine, and but who do I see as a Band to Watch? The Crystal Stilts! I think I discovered them first, and had even posted a video of them back on February 23rd. I like to believe that I've always got my finger on the pulse of new music, even though I know that's not true. But it's still my delusion, and I'll embrace it for all it's worth, dammit.

Finally, my weekend playlist:

"Prize" - Kitchens of Distinction
"Soul Mining" - The The
"In Circles" - Sunny Day Real Estate
"Anything At All" - Over The Rhine
"Pretty Good Year" - Tori Amos
"Fistful of Love" - Antony & The Johnsons
"Dirty Boulevard" - Lou Reed
"Fake Palindromes" - Andrew Bird

No comments: