Friday, March 6, 2009

My Favorite Monkey


From the first time I saw The Monkees TV show (I must have been 6 or 7), I instantly took a liking to Mike Nesmith. He's the one with the crazy-sexy sideburns. Just to be clear, I think that Nesmith's sideburns are sexy now, not when I was playing with my Strawbery Shortcakes. Back then, they were just cool.

I'd always had a penchant for scruffy, deep-thinking dark-eyed lads (Bay City Rollers, Michael Landon, Chaka). Mike was no exception - he quickly replaced all my other obsessions. I believe I cut the fingertip of some wool gloves I had to make a knit hat for my Ken doll, and drew sideburns on him with a felt tip pen.

I mean, you can tell Mike had more charisma and depth than the other three Monkees put together. All of my friends liked Davy, because he was cute and had a great voice, plus he was in that Brady Bunch episode. Losers.

First of all, Davy Jones was short. Second, Davy Jones was little. And third, Davy Jones was way too sensitive. I'm just not attracted to short, little sensitive guys. Like Prince. All of my friends (same friends that liked Davy) swooned over Prince in high school. Huh? He was a little girlie-man, none of which I wanted crawling all over me. Yeah, I thought he was any okay singer, like Davy, but it didn't go beyond that. Come on now.

Mike was no girlie-man. He was all man. Give me out of control sideburns (were they considered mutton chops?), a funky knit hat, and a look that says "Come closer. I have something to tell you" any day of the week over a prancy little purple lovin' man who rocked the high heels better than I could.

So who was your favorite Monkee?

2 comments:

Jeff said...

He was the executive producer on Repo Man. that makes him completely awesome.

DoeHands said...

I think you've sold me on Mike. I don't even care about looking up the other two that aren't davy jones. Plus, boys in stocking caps absolutely slay me.