Thursday, March 19, 2009

Yo Chuck, Move Over....


Chuck Klosterman is from my home state of North Dakota. He's a pop culture writer, having penned such classics as Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota and Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto.
I like his writing, as we're the same age and grew up in the same region, so I can relate to much of what he rambles on about.

He used to write for Spin, but is now a columnist for Esquire and has just published his 5th tome, Downtown Owl. I've yet to read it, my hesitation stemming from the fact that it's an account of a fictional town in ND.

There is absolutely no reason to create a fictional ND town for the purpose of publishing a humorist essay. There are a ton of small towns in ND ripe with hilarious stories and eclectic characters from which to extricate true life. Seriously. When I tell my friends here in St. Louis stories of my youth, they're ROTFLMAOPIP. Word.

That said, I have started writing my own novel, a non-fiction account of growing up in ND in the 1980's from a gal's perspective. I will be referencing music from that time period, as well as movies, pop culture, fads, politics, and the like. I will post some passages on this blog for feedback, and have secured fact-checkers and editors.

It's a go.

Now, all I need is a literary agent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. You go girl! - TNT

One Crabapple said...

Here's a funny..not 48 hours ago someone said the same thing to me ..."ohh those ND Girl stories you tell are hilarious!" I said "Really? I thought I was NORMAL! You know you can't make that stuff up!

Kristin said...

I know, right? I feel fortunate to have grown up where we did - the stories are priceless.